Sea cucumbers are a type of marine animal that is often dried and used in Chinese and Korean cuisine. They have a chewy texture and are believed to have various health benefits, including improving digestion and reducing inflammation.
If you want to prepare dried sea cucumber for cooking, the first step is to rehydrate it. This involves soaking the sea cucumber in water for several hours or overnight. The amount of time needed will depend on the size and type of sea cucumber you are using.
To start, place the dried sea cucumber in a bowl and cover it with cold water. Let the sea cucumber soak for at least 8-12 hours or overnight for two days depending on the size of the sea cucumber.
Once the sea cucumber has rehydrated, it will have expanded in size and become softer. You can then cut it into smaller pieces if desired, and prepare it for cooking.
When choosing dried sea cucumber, it is best to select a high-quality product. One popular brand is Chuen Jia fu Dried sea cucumber, which is known for its superior quality and texture.
If you are in Singapore, you can find a wide selection of dried sea cucumber at Retail at Teck Sang on Hong Kong street. This store specializes in dried seafood and offers a variety of brands and types of sea cucumber.
To prepare the sea cucumber for cooking, you can follow these steps:
- Place the dried sea cucumber in a bowl and cover it with cold water.
- Let the sea cucumber soak for at least 12 hours or best overnight for 2 days changing water twice.
- Once the sea cucumber has rehydrated, cut it into smaller pieces, if desired.
- Rinse the sea cucumber under cold water to remove any impurities.
- Boil a pot of water and add the sea cucumber to the pot.
- Cook the sea cucumber for about 20-30 minutes or until it is tender.
- Remove the sea cucumber from the pot and drain any excess water.
- Use the sea cucumber in your desired recipe, such as a stir-fry or soup.
By rehydrating and preparing dried sea cucumber properly, you can enjoy its unique texture and flavour in a variety of dishes.